Saturday, March 11, 2006



Yesterday we went for a breakfast buffet in the mall were the hotel was in Hong Kong. After breakfast, my stomach wasn't very happy about what I'd eaten. We decieded to take the earlier train to Gaungzhou. After a 1 hour 45 minute journey , we arrived at the train station. I decided to use the rest room but after entering the bathroom the porcelin "squatty potty" awaited me but I decided not to try and balance over a hole in the ground.. Welcome to China!!!! After customs we were met by a White Swan Hotel representative holding a sign with our names on it who took our bags and seemed to whisk to a a waiting Mercedes Benz. After a 40 minute journey we arrived at the hotel without any mishaps ( though a few close calls by our driver). I spent the rest of the day with a terrible upset stomach. We met our guide as well as the other 4 families for dinner at a Thai resturant. We all got to choose 1 dish so Gary decided on something safe ( sweet and sour chicken with cashews) I didnt eat and then spent the rest on the evening in bed.

We meet Sydney today!

I'm about 80% better, so I'm going to try and rest a little before the big event this afternoon. At 2:00 this afternoon all 5 families who are getting babies from the same orphanage will meet at the hotel and go to the Civil Affairs Office where we'll become families.

It's 7:30 in the morning here, and we've already gotten dressed, eaten breakfast (well Gary ate, my stomach was still saying to skip the food), and Gary's gone out to get an umbrella stroller.

The White Swan is a beautiful hotel. There a book in the room with pictures of dignitaries who have stayed here, including Richard Nixon and George W. Bush. Last night when we got back to the room, there were asian robes set out on the bed for each of us, and slippers next to the bed. We are treated like royalty. It really makes for a nice stay. They open all doors and even have staff on each floor to push the elevator button as they see you in the hallway so you don't have to wait.

Well, we found out that the babies are given to us in alphabetical order by the families last name. Lucky for us, that means we're first! I'm having a problem downloading photos right now, but am going to work on that before we leave today.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Am so thrilled that you are sharing with such an interesting diary. Can't wait for the next installment. Hope you can find a way to post pictures! Keep the Pepto Bismo handy!